Australia - Standard
Worbla's Mesh Art Thermoplastic
When strength is important, Worbla’s Mesh Art provides a thermoplastic with excellent adhesive properties and stability. Worbla’s Mesh Art offers a smooth, leather-like finish on one side with a mesh structure on the other with excellent strength and resilience.
Like all Worbla Products, Worbla’s Mesh Art is non-toxic and solvent-free. Worbla’s Mesh Art has also been partially made from recycled rice husks, as we are always looking to create more sustainable, environmentally conscious products. Worbla’s Mesh Art is activated by heat (80-90°C / 175-195°F), and becomes moldable and shapeable by hand when activated, and can be reheated endlessly until the desired shape is achieved.
Many of our tutorials on Worbla.com have suggested reinforcing areas for grommets and strapping/D-rings with Wonderflex, another thermoplastic you may be familiar with. Worbla’s Mesh Art aims to provide the strength and tear-resistance that Wonderflex provides while offering a cleaner, easier product with Worbla’s familiar sculpting properties.
If you have never seen Worbla handled or tried it yourself, customers often compare it to clay, fruit leather or beeswax when heated: becoming pliable and taking detail well, becoming hard and stable when cool. Worbla’s Mesh Art can be built up in layers, shaped over forms of foam, foil, wire or similar armatures, and can be used as a single layer. It works excellently with other Worbla products and so can easily be used as a base that other types of Worbla are attached to, to take advantage of the high adhesive level.
Worbla’s Mesh Art can be painted with just about any paint, wax or finish. Mesh Art’s texture is finer compared to Finest Art, closer in texture to that of leather, and you may choose to leave it unprimed before painting it, or prime it with products such as Flexbond, Gesso, or PVA glue. Mesh Art will need less priming than Finest Art, which can save time on larger builds. (These statements assume you are working with the smooth side, not the mesh side, out.)
- The mesh on Worbla’s Mesh Art does not form through the product when heated and shaped, even over complex curves. This means that the surface stays smooth – comparable to Worbla’s Finest Art.
- The adhesive in Worbla’s Mesh Art is stronger and tackier than Worbla’s Finest Art: this means it is even easier to blend seams and edges, but we do strongly suggest you work over a silicone sheet or parchment paper, as Worbla’s Mesh Art may stick very firmly to your workspace.
- Worbla’s Mesh Art can take complex curves, both positive and negative, just as well as Worbla’s Finest Art. For large domes and complex shapes, a second pair of hands is useful. Some edges may need more blending, but you will experience far less of the ‘dart’ or fold effect that Wonderflex can give.
- Worbla’s Mesh Art is stronger – a lot stronger – and resistant to tearing once heated and cooled. If you need a strong supported prop or accessory, you may be able to use one layer of Worbla’s Mesh Art when two layers of Finest Art would have been needed. You can also reinforce an area by layering Worbla’s Mesh Art behind Finest or Black Art.
- Worbla’s Mesh Art Scraps Can Be Recycled! Because there is a higher amount of adhesive plastic and a finer grid, scraps and bits of Worbla’s Mesh Art can be re-blended and used for sculpting with a surface only slightly more rough than reblended Finest Art scraps. It can also be mixed with Finest Art scraps, and even rolled into new sheets that will not be as strong as the original, but still have resilience. If you’ve ever tried to recycle Wonderflex scraps you know it’s difficult to get anything smooth.
- You will still need to prime Worbla’s Mesh Art, the same as Worbla’s Finest or Black Art, if you want a flat, shiny surface for painting.
Shipping & Returns
|Estimated Delivery Time
3 - 5 Business Days
Australia - Free Shipping
For orders for $150, excludes sale periods.
* exclusions apply
3 - 5 Business Days
Australia - EXPRESS
1 - 3 Business Days
Calculated at Checkout
Australia - Courier
For business & studio orders or fabric rolls
Calculated - Please contact us
International - Standard
Varies based on location
Calculated at Checkout
*Bulky items do not qualify for Free Shipping. Free shipping unavailable during sales.
Free shipping may be disabled during sales, promotions and during times of additional freight surcharges.
For more information about International Shipping, click here!
If your product isn't right for you, we are more then happy to take it back as long as it meets our conditions of return.
For more information please click here!
DO YOU NEED HELP DECIDING WHAT MATERIALS WILL WORK BEST FOR YOUR PROJECT?